Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Trip to the Cabin



This past weekend, we went up to the Uinta Mountains to my Stepdad's family cabin. We got there around midnight Friday and stayed until around 3:00 pm Sunday. It was such a fun trip. We went with my Mom and Roger, my brother, Cory, his wife, Amanda, and their boys, Mason and Tanner. It was really fun for the cousins to get together again, they just don't get to do that enough. It was also fun for the grownups...my mom, Amanda and I all had such good visits, I really cherish that.

Ricky and Kayla loved being up in the mountains. Ricky is an explorer and we had a hard time keeping up with him. There are some teepees built by family over the years on the property so we had to go explore them. Kayla loved this. Ricky just loved the freedom he was getting. We put him down and off he went. It was so cute to see his excitement over the new things he was experiencing.





Cory and his family didn't make it up until early Saturday evening. On Saturday morning, we went for a walk down to the beaver pond. The kids threw rocks in the pond and had a blast. Then we drove to a small lake not too far from the cabin called Lily Lake. We had bought Kayla her very own Barbie fishing pole and she was so excited to use it. She fished for about a half hour, which is longer than I was expecting to be honest. Then we had a picnic and she went for a long walk around the lake with Poppa Roger. She got to see another boy catch a fish and she got to pet it and was quite excited. Ricky had fun throwing rocks in the lake with Poppa and watching the duck that kept swimming over to us. He learned to say "guck" which translates to "duck" for those who speak baby. He took a turn fishing too but what he wanted was to pull the fishing line out and play with it. Rick fished for a bit too. The fish were jumping and they were eating the bait but no one was catching. Oh well, it was fun. The road was the bumpiest, rockiest road I have been on in years but both kids slept through it, they were so exhausted. On the way home, we saw a moose at the beaver pond. I was so glad Kayla woke up to see it. She didn't know what a moose was before that.

That night we barbequed and then sat around the campfire while Poppa Roger told stories about "Mounty Green" that he tells everytime we are up there. It's a "true story" of Mounty Green who is his ancestor and who was a Mounty in the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Mounty Green supposedly killed a grizzly bear named "4 claws" that terrorized a village back in the 1800's. There is a picture of a mounty in the cabin that inspired Roger to make up this story. It scared the kids pretty good. We roasted marshmellows as well and then headed off to bed.





The next day we drove up the mountain and found a good spot to go shooting. Roger and Rick both brought their Glocks and Roger brought his .22 rifle as well. The kids all took turns shooting the .22 with careful instruction from Poppa Roger. Then the grown ups all got to shoot. I hit 3 bottles with the .22 but I wasn't so good with Roger's Glock. I used to be so scared of guns but I really enjoy shooting now. I've got pretty good aim if I do say so.


After shooting, we went back to the cabin and had lunch. Rick and Roger played a few games of Horseshoes while Cory helped the kids build a teepee. They had so much fun doing that. After that was all done, it was time to say goodbye. We packed up the car and headed home. Kayla and Ricky were exhausted. But what a fun time we had! We love getting together with the family. Just wish my brother Bryce and his family were there too.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful trip. I love the Mounty Green story. How creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous - it looks to beautiful and peaceful there. I'm glad you guys got to go!

    ReplyDelete