Thursday, August 27, 2009

Camping Out and Windfarm Fun


Well, we did it. We put up the tent, we carted the mattress outside, we got pillows and blankets galore and we camped out in the backyard for the first time. It didn't go quite as we had planned. Kayla wanted bedtime stories and after I told her one, she told me one. I wish I could remember it well enough to write it here for you but at least I got it on video. Sorry I can't post video yet, our camera isn't compatible or something. We let Kayla watch a movie on the iPod until around 10:30 when she finally was ready to go to sleep. Ricky rolled around and talked to himself until around 10:00 and finally fell asleep. Then around 1:00 am, Ricky woke up and cried and screamed and nothing we could do seemed to help. Luckily, Kayla slept through all this, though I'm not sure how she did. We finally calmed him down after about a half hour, but he didn't go back to sleep. We brought in bed with us and he rolled around, head butted and climbed all over me and Daddy for about 2 more hours. At least he wasn't crying. Until about 3:30. Then the crying started again and this time, Kayla woke up. So, I took Ricky back inside. I put him in his crib, closed the door and let him cry himself back to sleep. Kayla could still hear him outside and couldn't go back to sleep until he stopped crying which was after 4:00 am. I had to "sleep" on the couch because we had taken the mattress from our bed outside. Rick and Kayla came in the house about 7:00 am and woke us up. And that was our Adventure in Camping Out. Not sure we will attempt it again for some time to come. The last picture there is the morning after.




The next day, Rick had an opportunity to climb one of the "windmills" out at the new windfarm that is going up outside town. He got there at 9:00 am and didn't come home for until 12:00. That's how long it took to climb. These things are HUGE!!!! The pictures really don't do them justice. Lets just say that our house could fit inside the base of one of these things. He had a blast and felt honored to be invited to make this climb. It was good for him as a firefighter too just in case they need to climb it for an emergency. Lets hope that never happens.....


Looking out over the farm from the top.








And just because they are so cute.....here's some more pictures of the kids. Kayla loves the video of Micheal Jackson's Thriller. Rick found it online for her and she watched it back to back 4 times. Here she is watching it.


And here is the result of their "rearrange all the books" project. They do this frequently much to my "delight".

1 comment:

  1. Cute stories and great pictures! You are brave to try the whole camp out thing. We were brave once, too, and our son did NOT cooperate :) Unfortunately, we were in the mountains and no one slept that night.

    ReplyDelete