Thursday, July 15, 2010

Kayla Swimming Lessons


So, I wasn't aware that my daughter had a fear of going underwater. She likes to do it at Nana Katie's pool in St. George. She does it all the time in the bathtub. When she started swimming lessons this last week, however, she refused to do it. Her fear has gotten so great, she was willing to give up ice cream and a magic show in order to avoid jumping into the pool and chancing going underwater. Thank goodness for the patience of the swimming teachers at the pool though. Her teacher, Kiana managed to talk her into jumping despite her fears and showed her that she didn't have to go under when she jumped. Today during her lesson, my friend Kendra (whose son, Weston, is in the class with Kayla) got in the pool to help with the fears of two scared little children. She worked with her own son and with Kayla and by the end of the lesson, Weston jumped off the diving board and was swimming by himself using a kickboard and Kayla had jumped off the side of the pool several times and had also begun to swim alone with a kickboard. I'm so proud that despite her fears, she is still trying. I know how scary it must seem to such a small girl, but through lots of talking and coaxing, she is trying her hardest and that is all I can ask of her. She has learned to blow bubbles in the water, has put her face underwater a few times in the small pool, and can do frog arms while walking in the small pool. She hasn't figured out how to combine her kicks with frog arms yet but I'm sure that will come in time. I can't wait to go to Nana Katie's pool this weekend and have her show off all her new abilities. My baby is growing up!

2 comments:

  1. She's so cute and doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tay also had a rough go last year. She still hates going under, but she sure loves swimming :)

    ReplyDelete