Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Little Sammy updates

Most recent belly shot, 28 weeks pregnant. Yes, I'm huge!



As I said previously, life has been quite crazy for us. We have had a couple scares with Little Sammy. First, at the end of October, first of November, we received the news that my test results for the triple screening came back abnormal. For those who don't know, the triple screen tests for the POSSIBILITY of certain birth defects such as spina bifida and downs syndrome. I wasn't informed at the time which test was abnormal, they just referred me to St. George perinatology for further testing. Once there, we found out the test for Downs' Syndrome was the abnormal one. Because of my age, they look for a 1% variance in the results. I was in the 2% margin and that required an extensive ultrasound. The good news is that he is perfectly normal. No sign of Downs at all. It was a scary week, that's for sure. We saw a good shot of his face which didn't happen in the other ultrasound as it seems my boy doesn't like to be poked and he hides alot. The Perinatologist poked and prodded extra hard though and finally we saw his beautiful face. He looked so much like his brother, it will be fun to see him in person and see the resemblance.
The second scare started a few weeks ago. I started to experience some contractions. I was only 26 weeks when they started. They were not painful, however, they were coming about 8 an hour which is way too many. I went to the hospital and was checked out and luckily, my cervix was not being effected. I was prescribed medication and sent home. The medication made me extremely sick. I experienced what I think was as close to a migraine as I've ever come and could hardly get out of bed. I spent 2 days in bed and the medication and bed rest did nothing to slow down the contractions. I went back to the doctor and was checked again. Again, the contractions were not affecting my cervix but the worry was strong that it might. The worry was also there that if these continued, I wouldn't know when or if the real thing was happening and miss some important signs. So, another medicine was prescribed and lucky for all of us, this one seems to have worked. While I feel shaky and weak with this one, the contractions have slowed WAY down. Its nice to get somewhat back to normal, although I am paying more attention to my limits. I try and rest more often and some of the harder chores around the house have been passed on to my husband. Lucky for me, he is willing and able to help and doesn't complain. Its hard for me to feel so useless but he just kisses me and reminds me that I'm not useless, I'm carrying and nurturing our son and that has to be my priority. What an amazing man I'm married to!
I don't have the Christmas pictures up yet so that post will come in a few days but watch for it. We had a fun one this year. I'll also be putting up pictures from Kayla's birthday. Can you believe my big girl is already 5?
Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment