Monday, August 16, 2010

Girls Weekend

This past weekend, Kayla and I got to travel down to St. George to spend some time with my Mom. This was a real treat for us, our first "Girl's Weekend." Kayla felt so special and so grown up. It was hard for her to not have her Daddy and Brother but boy did she have fun. We started by going shopping and Kayla and I both got new dresses as a present from Nana Katie. We then went back to her house and played in the pool for a bit to cool off and then, lucky me, I got to have a bit of a nap. After we got ready, we went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant in town, Pancho and Lefty's. Kayla kept talking about our beautiful dresses and she couldn't wait for the next part of our adventure.



A little explanation. My mother and I share a birthday. This year, for our birthday, we decided we wanted to go see the musical Cats. The outdoor ampitheater in St. George puts on amazing shows each summer and fall. We were so excited to find out that Cats would be there this year. As plans for this evolved we came up with the idea of our Girls Weekend and decided it would be alot of fun to include Kayla in this. Her husband, Roger, told her that the tickets for the show would be his birthday present to her. So she bought our dresses and dinner as her present to me.








The ampitheater in St. George is called Tuacahn. It is in the most incredible setting in the red rocks surrounding St. George. The stage is outdoors and they incorporate the surrounding scenery into the plays they perform. Last year they were one of only 8 (I think) theaters in the country to perform Les Miserables and Rick and I were really lucky to go to that. If you ever make it to Southern Utah in the summer and fall, I highly recommend checking out a play there. Next year, they will be performing Grease, The Wizard of Oz and Hairspray. Check out the link http://tuacahn.org/.


Anyway, back to Cats. We were so lucky to be on the 3rd row of the final performance of the season. I wish I could have taken a picture of Kayla's face so many times throughout the performance. Parts were not as exciting for her and it ran late so she did get tired, but she enjoyed alot of it. Her favorite was Grizzabella the Glamour Cat. She hated that the other cats were so mean to her and she thought she was so beautiful. She loved the dancing and acrobatics of Mr. Mistofelees (sp?). During intermission, we got to go up on stage and have our picture taken with Old Deuteronomy and he was so sweet with her, she wasn't even scared to sit on his lap. After the show, we had our picture taken with Grizzabella and Kayla was in awe seeing her and holding her hand. She was scared of the Rum Tum Tugger though, he was a bit too flashy for her, but he was definitely my favorite. I got my picture taken with him and was giddy as a schoolgirl. He was absolutely adorable, a cross between Elvis and Danny Zuko.









It was such a fun night and such a great bonding time for us girls. I am so grateful for the friendship my mother and I share, it is a great strength to me and I only hope Kayla and I will share a friendship like this when she is older. Thanks, Mom, for such an amazing weekend!

1 comment:

  1. This looks like sooooo much fun. I'm glad you girls got to enjoy yourselves!

    ReplyDelete